Babbles

    follow me on Twitter

    Tuesday, December 23, 2008

    Lost in Transit

    Currently, I am in the Abu Dhabi International Airport waiting for my connecting flight to Muscat. For some reason, I can’t connect to the internet, so I’m typing this out on Word so I can post this later on. Like I mentioned in my previous post, I issued a challenge to everyone to spam my Facebook page. Astrid Swift saw it first, and the last I heard of her, she had already reached over 100 messages in my wall. That means I’ll have to sift through at least three times that amount once I get home. Oh dear…

    The best thing about airports is that it provides ample opportunity for people-watching. As I am typing this, an old English man is sitting across from me reading a book. His face is red, and every now and then he looks up from the pages and seems to stare into space. On the other end of the row is a younger Asian lady. She’s reading a magazine, her face resting on her hand. Every now and then she rakes a hand through her hair, as though thinking about what she had just read. Her lips are pursed, and her brow occasionally furrows. I feel so tempted to ask her what she’s reading, but she seems so engrossed that I hate to break her concentration. She now seems to be glancing at my feet with what seems to be a look of disapproval, which might not be a good thing for me and my choice of footwear.

    Well, I’m off to have a smoke in the Smoking Room (aka, Oh-dear-God-I-am-going-to-get-cancer-just-by-breathing Room). Maybe I’ll find something else with which to while my time away. I think I might get some over-priced coffee…

    (Later)

    Well, here I am in Costa, having a shitty-tasting Mocha Frescato. It’s strangely quiet here, and my flight is just beginning to board. It doesn’t leave for another 45 minutes, though, so I’ve got a little time left to kill. There’s another woman sitting across the hall from me, also alone. She looks a little sad and lonely, her eyes casting about for a familiar or friendly face.

    Why am I making these pointless observations? It’s because I was stupid enough not to bring a book with me. It’s a first, actually.

    0 comments: